Colin had many talents. He was intelligent and thoughtful, playful and fun, and full of energy, curiosity and plans for his future. He played acoustic guitar and classical cello, was an avid reader, and was in an advanced placement track at school. He played forward and was a captain of his soccer team. He loved snow boarding, skateboarding and surfing.
Colin was a wonderful son and his easygoing manner allowed him to be a good friend to many. One said "Colin was always the happy one, the one who others could talk to." She said he was usually the one who could be counted on to say just the right thing to diffuse an awkward moment in any group. That was one of his special gifts, one we all miss so much.
I first learned of the choking game the night Colin died in September 2005. Since then I have collaborated with others working to increase understanding of and information about pass out activities and have contributed to 3 publications in the medical/public health literature. (*)
This site was created in honor of Colin's life and to help increase awareness of how he died. It is dedicated to him and to all the other children and teens, each with special talents and promise, who have lost their lives to the choking game. And, it is a place for parents and professionals to learn about a significant risk that their children, students, or patients may face.
Patricia Russell M.D
Tacoma News Tribune Article
McClave JL, Russell PJ, Lyren A, O’Riordan MA, Bass NE. The choking game: physician perspectives. Pediatrics Jan 1, 2010; 125:82-7